Sunday, October 13, 2013

North Euvoia, Greece in pictures

It feels like I have been back in Holland for months yet it’s only been ten days. It’s weird how perception of time changes as soon as you get back from vacation.

The weather has been awful, it’s cold and it’s been raining non stop since last night, and the only sunshine I get is emanating from the photos of my vacation in Euvoia, Greece.

I’m in love with this place. My uncle bought and restored an old stone house at a dreamy little mountain village with the most amazing view of the surrounding mountains and the Aegean Sea, and whenever I go there it feels like pure heaven.

Euvoia is the second largest island in Greece after Crete and by many Greeks, especially Athenians, it is strangely not even considered an island because of it’s proximity to Athens. The north of the island though is a completely different area filled with trees as far as the eye can see. Pine trees, firs, and lots of fruit-bearing trees. The apple trees were laden with tiny apples, a variety called "firikia" in Greek. I couldn’t walk the cobbled streets of the village without stepping onto them. I was looking for figs but the trees were bare. Instead, I found grapes dangling from the vines, in all colors, and the smell of freshly-made moustos (grape-must) from the producers of the village filling the air. I found pomegranates beautifully crimson and plump, mushrooms hiding in the forest, walnuts, chestnuts.
I didn’t go foraging because it’s a dangerous adventure if you don’t know which mushrooms to pick, but I enjoyed the view from the mountain.

And then, only ten minutes by car from the mountain, you end up straight to the sea. The glorious Aegean Sea, with that blue color that makes me swoon whenever I see it. The sea was warm and the time we spent at the beach was treasured. We had such a peaceful and wonderful time.

Below you can see photos from our trip in Euvoia. From the village we stayed and from the nearby village of Limni (Greek word for lake) where the sea is so serene and beautiful it almost feels like a lake. I hope you enjoy them.




12 comments:

  1. You are lucky indeed. Greece is a wonderful country and I wish I was lucky enough to come back to it several times a year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. simply gorgeous , thank you for sharing .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The landscape, the markets, even the lamp--wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Magda,

    Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos!

    Xenia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen hundreds of pictures of Greece;this is the first time I want to simply move there, and forget everything else! i cant imagine such perfection anywhere else; so pure, so beautiful so clean like you said it, so heavenly. how can you go back to Holland after this? I'd be depressed for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful - and it looks so relaxing, as well! Thanks so much for sharing with us! ~ David

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're just home from Crete and we miss the sea. It's as if we left something behind, something important. Your pictures are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an absolutely picturesque place, no wonder you had such a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful images Magda - I love the colours of the market you have captured, and those beautiful spoon sweets - they look like jewels ; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am ready to hop on the plane right now!!! We have been having such strong cravings for Greece. I feel like I need a dose of that magical place. We are happily planning our trip for next summer:)
    Magda, your photos are amazing and made me so happy this morning. Thanks for the little journey.
    xoxox
    E

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic photos! Can't wait to get back to the patrida (and bring the husband for his 1st time).

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous story you have told with your photographs. I needed a vacation dream this morning on a gloomy Saturday in NL. I especially love the market you visited, with its unusual squash and jars of golden honey. Greece is on our list of places to visit and your story upped the urgency of that in my mind! Thank you for the fantastic glimpse of your holiday.

    ReplyDelete